Aged 18-30 and living on the Isle of Wight? Don’t miss out on this great funding opportunity!
By Megan Stisted
The deadline is fast approaching for this year’s Mike Howley Trust awards, offering funding for 18-30 years old on the Isle of Wight!
The Mike Howley Trust is an opportunity for island creatives aged 18-30 years old to apply for small amounts of funding for investment in areas such as training, equipment, marketing & promotion, recording, rehearsal space, staging, publishing costs, or simply time to create.
Mike Howley, a passionate advocate for the arts, who worked for many years as Director of Cultural Services for the Isle of Wight Council passed away in May 2013, leaving part of his estate “for the specific benefit of aspiring young actors, musicians, dancers and writers, between the ages of 18 and 30, living on the Isle of Wight”.
Projects that have been funded in the past include backing of music video production, startup business grants for mobile recording studios and publishing costs of local authors’ debut novels. You can apply for anything performance based so please be aware visual arts applications cannot be accepted.
If it sounds like your project could benefit from the trust, here’s a step by step on how to apply – with a few top tips.
- To get started go the Quay Arts website and download the guidelines and application here
- Ensure you have a valid form of ID proving your age, as this is required for the application.
- Ensure your project has been well thought-out, they’ll want to see who will benefit and a breakdown of your budget even if it’s simple.
- Now’s your chance to pitch your project, so make sure you’ve thoroughly considered what main points you want to get across. There will be lots of applications to read so make it concise.
- Is your project unique? Does it have a future? Will it benefit anyone other than yourself? These are all great selling points.
- You’ll have three questions on your application form – so make sure each answer is detailed and considered.
- You may also send a 2 minute video, either of yourself explaining your project, or an example of your work. Have a think about which is more likely to make your application stand out.
Don’t forget the deadline is Friday 24th April. Good Luck!
Like what we do?
Support Ventnor Exchange by becoming a Fringe Friend for £20 (Just 38p per week!) and enjoy exclusive benefits including 2 for 1 tickets on shows, discounts in-store and more! Sign up by clicking here